Archive Services staff have written a number of research guides, giving information about aspects of the University’s history and an overview of the sources available for researching these topics.
The guides are listed below – please check back regularly as more will be added.
If you need further information about a topic, or would like to research a subject that is not listed, email [email protected].
Guides to the University of Westminster's history
- The Polytechnic and World War One (PDF)
- History of the Swimming Pool at 309 Regent Street (PDF)
- History of the Marylebone Road campus (PDF)
- History of the Little Titchfield Street site (PDF)
- History of the Regent Street Cinema (PDF)
- History of the Polytechnic Secondary School (PDF)
- History of the Polytechnic's George and Dragon logo and the 309 Regent Street mosaic (PDF)
- History of Architectural Education at the University of Westminster (PDF)
- History of Fyvie Hall (PDF)
- History of LGBT rights (PDF)
Famous Alumni and Staff members
These research guides cover the resources available in the Archive for researching prominent individuals who studied or taught at the University of Westminster or its predecessors.
- Ezra Pound at the Regent Street Polytechnic (PDF)
- Dorothy Hartley at the Regent Street Polytechnic (PDF)
- Alexander Fleming at the Polytechnic Secondary School (PDF)
Guides to Finding and Using Archives for study
- Finding and Using Archives (PDF) - aimed at History students, this is a general guide to archival resources
- Finding and Using Architectural Archives (PDF) - as well as this pdf guide, we have also produced a slideshow discussing architectural resources in archives beyond plans and photographs - that can be found at slideshare.
- Finding and Using Photographic Archives (PDF)
- Resources for Fashion Research (PDF)
- Using Archives for Creative Writing (PDF)