Research in the Faculty of Science and Technology encompasses a wide range of disciplines, drawn from the life sciences, electronics and computer science, and psychological sciences.
Life science subjects range from pure to applied science, integrating areas from structural biology, molecular genetics, applied microbiology and biotechnology. Our life science expertise extends to human performance, Chinese medicine, public health nutrition and wellbeing. Research in electronics and computer science focuses on theoretical and practical solutions to modern society's needs, such as ICT services, health and social care, green technologies, safety and security, and environments for teaching and learning. Research in psychology includes psychobiology, cognitive psychology and cognitive neuroscience, and social psychology.
Our research is internationally recognised. In the 2014 Research Excellence Framework, the majority our research outputs were classed as Internationally Excellent (3*) or World Leading (4*). The same was true of the real-world impact arising from our work.
Much of our work has an applied focus. Experienced and research-active staff work in close collaboration with the bio-industry, NHS and other research institutions within the UK, Europe and the US. Our facilities at the Cavendish Campus are equipped with state of the art instrumentation.
Students may register for research degrees in full-time or part-time modes. We have an excellent track record of student success, with the majority of students completing their studies in three to four years.
Our research is supported by major grants and awards from government departments, research councils, the European Union and industry, and benefits from strong national and international links with leading academic and commercial organisations. We offer services to industry such as consultancy, system development, seminars and professional training programmes all linked to the educational and research portfolio of the Faculty.
Research Groups and Centres based in the Faculty of Science and Technology
- Applied Biotechnology Research Group
- Applied DSP and VLSI Research Group
- Cancer Research Group
- Cognitive Computing Research Group
- Cognitive Neuroscience Research Group
- Computational Vision and Imaging Technology Research Group
- Cyber Security Research Group
- Distributed and Intelligent Systems Research Group
- EASTmedicine Research Group
- Food Nutrition and Public Health Research Group
- Health and Social Care Modelling Research Group
- Patient Outcomes in Health Research Group
- Psychophysiology and Stress Research Group
- Serious Games at Westminster Research Group
- Software Systems Engineering Research Group
- Tissue Architecture and Regeneration Research Group
- Translational Physiology Research Group
- Supporting Patients with Long-term Health Conditions Research Group
- Westminster Water Science Research Group
- Wireless Communications Research Group