Students from Westminster Law School have an excellent track record of getting into employment.
89% of our graduates go on to work or further study within six months, according to Unistats. Successful alumni have had very successful careers as barristers and advocates, solicitors, clerks and officers of court, legal executives and paralegals. They have gone on to work for some of the UK’s leading legal services providers including Allen & Overy, Baker & Mackenzie, Berwin Leighton Paisner, Addleshaw Goddard, Hodge Jones & Allen, Weightmans and Ropes & Gray. Our graduates also pursue careers in accountancy, the Civil Service, education and government.
Career Development Activities
Westminster law students benefit from the following:
- Dedicated 1-2-1 appointments with careers advisors.
- Feedback and advice on CVs, applications and interview preparation.
- Employer panel events and talks.
- Law vacancy jobs bulletin.
- Annual law fair consortium.
- Mock assessment centres and interviews.
- Legal skills academy: a three-month series of workshops on commercial awareness including training in key job-related skills, such as handling interviews and psychometric tests.
- Mentoring scheme opportunities:
- Career development mentoring scheme – this enables students to be mentored by solicitors and barristers.
- Undergraduate ethnic minority scheme – for students from a Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic background. This scheme is part of the National Mentoring Consortium and aims to promote equality and diversity in graduate recruitment.
For more information about mentoring, see the Careers tabs on our undergraduate course pages.
What do our graduates say?
"Having subsequently talked to colleagues from other universities, it’s clear that the Law School has got a really good work placement programme at the end of your second year, and that makes a huge difference."
- Jifree Cader, LLB
"The high quality of teaching coupled with the Law School’s perfect location in central London was crucial in enabling me to achieve my goals."
- Dogan Gultutan, LLB
"Westminster is a very forward-thinking university which, on top of the outstanding teaching, offers numerous law fairs, career events, and student advisors to help with networking and applications."
- Katie Sills, LPC and GDL
"I chose the University of Westminster because it offers the unique opportunity to study a law degree and Legal Practice Course over a seamless four years."
- Samantha Watson, MLaw