Depth of tradition and excellent facilities
The world's first courses in photographic chemistry were delivered in the main building of what is now the Regent Street Campus. The first degrees in both photography and film were delivered at the then Polytechnic, where the Lumiere Brothers screened the first ever film in the UK. Both combined from their inception the critical study of the discipline with practical training. Another first was the BSc Photographic Science which remains the premier course teaching the technology of imaging science.
Photography teaching is delivered on one of the finest and most fully equipped facilities in the country. The Photography Centre offers five large professionally equipped studios, colour and monochrome printing and an industry standard suite of digital facilities. In addition to our thriving undergraduate courses, we offer Masters programmes in Photographic Arts and Photojournalism.
Our BA in Film Production is one of our most highly sought-after courses. Students regularly win awards and prizes, show their work at festivals, and are encouraged to make innovative work in our professional standard studios. We also offer an MA in Film Culture, Theory and Business, and are in the process of reshaping our successful Masters courses in Directing and Screenwriting.
BA Contemporary Media Practice enables students to work in film, photography, video and interactive media, encouraging multi-skilling within an innovative and creative environment.
- Anne Bourgeois - Vignon, Director of INSTITUTE
- Rut Blees Luxembourg - Contemporary artist, Tutor, RCA, Department of Photography
- David Campany - writer & lecturer at University of Westminster
- Richard Sawdon-Smith - Winner of Kobal Portrait Photography Prize, 1997. Professor of Photography and Head of Arts & Media Department at London South Bank University
- Richard Page, 2004 Jerwood Photography Prize Winner
- Rula Halawani - Teacher and Founder of the Photography Program at the University of Birzeit, Palestine
- Pat Blades - Head of Production at Lion TV
- Seamus McGarvey - Director of Photography for The Hours, High Fidelity, Atonement,The Soloist, Nowhere Boy
- Andrew Parker - Editing Rat Catcher, The Merchant of Venice, The Queen (Lucia Zuccetti) The House of Mirth, East is East, Calendar Girls
- Jake Nava - Directing pop promos for the Spice Girls, Britney Spears and Madonna
- Asif Kapadia - BAFTA for Best British Film and Most Promising Newcomer for the film The Warrior
Contemporary Media Practice
- Aaqil Ahmed - Head of Religious Programming, BBC (previously Commissioning Editor, Channel 4)
- Darren Bender - Film and TV producer (Exhibit A, Stephen Fry's Shorts)
- Ruth Breslaw - Production coordinator and casting assistant (Code 46, A Cock & Bull Story)
- Martha Fiennes - Film and music video director (Onegin, Chromophobia)
- Ori Gersht - Photographer and internationally exhibiting artist (Tate, Guggenheim)
- Philip Meech - Photojournalist/Freelancer (e.g. The Independent, & many commercial clients)
- Zed Nelson - Photographer (editorial and reportage, e.g. The Guardian, TIME Magazine)