What is CILEx?
CILEx (formerly known as ILEX), formed in 1892, is an established, growing legal professional body which represents approximately 22,000 trainee and practising Legal Executives in England and Wales. In recognition of its and its members status within the legal profession, on 12 October 2011, the Queen in Counsel approved application for CILEx to receive Royal Charter.
CILEx Professional Standards (IPS) (which regulates the activities of CILEx and its members) works closely with Government and the Ministry of Justice and is recognised in England and Wales as one of the core regulators of legal professionals alongside barristers and solicitors.
Students achieved outstanding pass rates for January 2012:
Introduction to Law and Practice: 82%
Contract law: 86%
Land law: 77%
Learn more about CILEx
IPS together with the SRA (the Regulator of solicitors in England and Wales) and the BSB (the regulator of Barristers in England and Wales) are currently in collaboration to review the future of Legal Education and Training within the legal sector.
There are many categories of CILEx membership. One of the important features of CILEx study is that it is open access. Therefore students without previous legal experience or academic qualifications are available to start their education at Level 3, whilst those who have already completed an LLB or GDL are qualified to undertake the CILEx Graduate Fast-Track or CILEx Level 6 qualifications. All of these qualifications are on offer at University of Westminster.
We strongly advise that you look at the CILEx website. Any queries relating to CILEx, the Professional body must be made to CILEx direct.
How do I qualify as a Legal Executive Lawyer?
In order to qualify as a Legal Executive Lawyer, you must:
- be over 18 years old;
- have registered as a member with Chartered Institute of Legal Executives (CILEX);
- have registered with CILEX for entry to and have successfully passed the Level 3 Certificate and Diploma in Law and Practice examinations (equivalent to A Level standard) and either Level 6 Professional Higher Diploma in Law and Practice examinations (equivalent to degree level standard) or Level 6 Graduate Fast-Track Diploma.
You will also need to complete five years qualifying employment. Specific details may be found on the CILEX website.
CILEX is recognised as one of the three main regulators of the legal profession alongside the Bar Council (which regulates Barristers in England and Wales) and the Law Society (which regulates Solicitors in England and Wales). As such, CILEX and its members are recognised professionals of high worth within the legal sector.
CILEX qualifications are recognised by The Law Society and the legal industry.
Legal Executive lawyer qualifications offer a wide and varied range of professional career opportunities. By way of brief summary, Fellows of CILEX may:
- Run their own departments
- Manage other executives, administrative staff and junior solicitors
- Become partners
- Become District Judges, Deputy District Judges and Tribunal Chairmen
- Specialist advocates
Read more about the advantages of CILEX
CILEX Legal Executive lawyer qualifications are open-access. As such, qualification as a Legal Executive lawyer is available to all whether they have previous legal academic qualifications or not. This means that even if you have very little previous academic experience/qualifications, you will still be able to qualify as a lawyer via the CILEX route.
Qualification as a Legal Executive lawyer will demonstrate to potential legal employers that you have an all round knowledge covering academic and practical areas of the law together with relevant legal skills.
High calibre legal employers currently sponsor Legal Executive lawyers. The list of employers boasts firms such as CMS Cameron McKenna, Addleshaw Goddard, DLA Piper, Irwin Mitchell, Thompsons.
Qualification as a Legal Executive Lawyer is one of the most economically viable and flexible ways of gaining legal practice and professional legal knowledge.
Legal Executive lawyer qualifications are vocational in nature which means you can study whilst you work.
Legal Executive lawyer qualifications can be flexible according to your personal and professional needs.
There is no need to secure a training contract or pupilage to qualify as a Legal Executive Lawyer.
It is possible to continue your legal studies and qualify as a solicitor should you so wish but without the necessity of completing a training contract. If you are a Fellow of the Institute before you complete the LPC, you may be exempt from the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) training contract. It is important that you contact the SRA to get full details, as this exemption is at the discretion of the SRA. Additionally, you may be eligible to gain full/partial exemption from the GDL.
We are committed to providing you with a first-class service.
- Unlike most other CILEX providers, we are a university and offer a vibrant and interactive learning environment.
- Teaching takes place at our central London based Westminster Law School on Little Titchfield Street. Set just behind Oxford Street, there are excellent transport links to all the main attractions that this vibrant city has to offer.
- We have strong links with the CILEX London Branch who have helped provide career advice to our students.
- Our CILEX courses are run on a part-time evening basis, giving you the opportunity to work whilst studying.
- You will be invited to take part in the university’s CILEX extra-curricular activities.
- Our courses are competitively priced.
- Lectures and seminars are delivered by seasoned legal professionals with industry experience, drawn from the ranks of academics, solicitors and barristers.
- You will have access to a full range of learning resources including, Lexis Library, Lawtel, Westlaw and the Westminster Law School Library.
- You will have a personal tutor to whom you may address any enquiries or other needs.
- You will have an opportunity to air your views via CILEX Course Committee representatives.
University of Westminster offers the following CILEX Units.
Level 3 Certificate in Law and Practice
This course is the first year of Level 3 studies. It is competed in one academic year and is suitable for students who have no previous formal academic qualifications or legal experience. However, CILEX recommends students possess English ‘O’ level or its equivalent. Please note due to the combination of studies, you will receive your Certificate and Professional Diploma in Law upon completion of Level 3, Year 2 studies.
Level 3 Professional Diploma in Law and Practice
This course is the second year of Level 3 studies. It is competed in one academic year and is suitable for students who have completed the Level 3 Certificate in Law and Practice.
Level 6 Professional Higher Diploma in Law and practice
This is the follow on course from Level 3 Professional Diploma In Law and Practice. This course is completed over two academic years on a part-time evening basis.
Level 6 Graduate Fast-Track Diploma
The CILEX Graduate Fast-Track Diploma is completed in one academic year and aimed at students who hold a law degree awarded within the last 7 years. It is ideal if you want to secure a professional legal qualification as a Legal Executive Lawyer without having to incur significant fees or don’t want to secure an elusive training contract.
This qualification compliments substantive law modules undertaken at law degree level with practice and professional skills units, therefore fully equipping you to enter into the legal sector.
Level 6 Single Subject Certificate
This qualification is suitable if you wish to specialise in a particular area whether law, practice or professional skills.
This qualification runs for one academic year and is best suited to you if you do not wish to qualify as a Legal Executive lawyer but do require recognition in a specific professional area of law and legal practice.